Re: [vserver] is default squeeze kernel and util-vserver ok?

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Sun 15 May 2011 - 12:32:34 BST

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 08:14:34PM +0100, Ben Green wrote:
> Quoting "Eugen Leitl" <eugen@leitl.org>:
>

>> I'm having strange problems with http://repo.psand.net/info/
>> E.g. util-vserver-basic-debian seems to be no longer there
>> (but I can see it on another machine?! is that an i386/amd64 problem?).
>>
>> How braindead are the current official squeeze kernels?
>> Can they be used in production or is there show-stopping
>> brokenness?
>>

> I'm no longer supporting utils-vserver-basic-debian. I only used it one
> production environment. There's util-vserver now though (much more
> up-to-date that the Debian one). Getting from utils-vserver-basic-debian
> to util-vserver is not pleasant, but if you are conversant with the way
> vserver works you'll be fine. You'll need to completely remove
> utils-vserver-basic-debian from your system, then I'd advise creating the
> symlink of your choice as /etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase as it will get
> removed. There were a few other hiccups but it should be fine.
>
> There's no newvserver nor the other Debian tools in the repo.psand.net
> packages, you'll need install and use util-vserver-build and use it with
> "vserver build ..." to get any new guests built.

FYI:

vserver v35 build --force -n v35 --hostname 35.1.168.192.ativel.com --context 35 --interface eth0:192.168.1.35/24 -m debootstrap -- -d squeeze
Could not find local version of 'debootstrap'; downloading it from
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.26_all.deb...
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.26_all.deb:
2011-05-15 13:28:39 ERROR 404: Not Found.
ERROR: Could not download the debootstrap package from

   http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.26_all.deb

Usually, this means that Debian released a new version which is unknown
to util-vserver and removed the known ones. To fix this, go to

   http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/

(or a nearby mirror) and search the URL for the most recent *.deb
package matching your platform. Then, put this URL into

   /etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/debootstrap/uri

and retry the vserver-build command again.

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org