Re: [vserver] Linuxfest Northwest Presentation

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 08 Mar 2011 - 12:47:30 GMT

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 09:32:59AM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Well it seems my Linux-Vserver presentation proposal is getting some
> interest (first page of the most popular sessions) so I better get
> working on it. :-)

> Since it will be from a Administrative/User perspective (ie. mine)
> I would like to add some broader statistics to the presentation.

> What Linux-Vserver is running on (hardware),

in general, any hardware supported by Linux will be fine
for Linux-VServer, if you encounter any issues, consider
them a bug and report them to us ...

in particular, I had/have Linux-VServer running on:

 - x86/x86_64
 - powerpc/powerpc64/xbox360
 - ia64
 - hppa/pa-risc
 - s390/x
 - arm
 - mips

> how many guests per host,

typically 30-40, but in some cases just a single guest,
and in other cases up to 1000 guests for testing purposes
(not Linux-VServer testing :)

> which distribution(s) for the host(s)/guests(s),

mostly Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia here but for guests also:
 - redhat
 - debian
 - gentoo

> and types of applications the guests are running.

from typical web setups over specialized tunneling
solutions to build environment and specific low resource
test setups (often with only a single process per guest)

> From watching this list I know some of you are doing some really
> interesting stuff with Linux-Vserver. Come on all you lurkers.

> So my request is to anyone willing to share this type of information.
> Either as a reply to the list or as a private message. I will remove
> any identifying information (unless you want some free advertising)
> before using it in the presentation.

> I am also interested in how the developers and those providing
> support to the project (repos, templates, patches, utilities) are
> using Linux-Vserver or making money from Linux-Vserver.

for my part, whenever I need lightweight isolation, I'm
using Linux-VServer for the job, after all, that's why
I got involved in the first place ...

if simple isolation doesn't cut it (usually when other
operating systems are involved) I use kvm on the host
as well

HTH,
Herbert