Re: [vserver] floating hostname

From: Wojciech Giel <wojciech.giel_at_cimr.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue 18 Jan 2011 - 21:49:37 GMT

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 04:41:55PM +0000, Wojciech Giel wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I'm running VS on ubuntu server 8.04. I used before kernel from
>> http://ppa.launchpad.net/christoph-lukas/ppa/ubuntu hardy and
>> everything was fine but when I upgraded with kernel to 2.6.32.25
>> and vs2.3.0.36.29.6.
>>

> first, why upgrade the kernel when everything was fine?
> second, if you upgrade, why to a kernel which is quite
> old compared to recent kernels?

My bioinf team think of moving from ubuntu server 8.04 guest to 10.4. I
have tried to run 10.4 but cannot start it. upstart patch and
configuration given on VS website didn't work. when I ps aux in guest I
got continuous root (.....) init. so next step was to compile a newer
kernel so i've decided to check the long support 2.6.32 line. on
this server 10.4 VS starts but when i ssh to ex. stats host in comand
prompt betasms (guest - 10.4) the same when I ssh to any other guest.
>> when I ssh to host or any guests I get different hostname.
>> It is floating somehow.
>>

> I doubt that the hostname is 'floating' around somehow.

Yes i realized it is only vs with 10.4.
>> What might be a problem?
>>

> I presume that the hostname just changes every now and
> then, which might be a side effect of not having proper
> guest isolation (which usually is the result of using
> too old util-vserver for your kernel)

i have 30.214 util-vserver from repository. should I try to compile
latest stable .30.215 or experimental?
thanks
Wojciech