Re: [vserver] floating hostname

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 18 Jan 2011 - 17:46:51 GMT

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 04:41:55PM +0000, Wojciech Giel wrote:
> Hi,

> I'm running VS on ubuntu server 8.04. I used before kernel from
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/christoph-lukas/ppa/ubuntu hardy and
> everything was fine but when I upgraded with kernel to 2.6.32.25
> and vs2.3.0.36.29.6.

first, why upgrade the kernel when everything was fine?
second, if you upgrade, why to a kernel which is quite
old compared to recent kernels?

> when I ssh to host or any guests I get different hostname.
> It is floating somehow.

I doubt that the hostname is 'floating' around somehow.

> What might be a problem?

I presume that the hostname just changes every now and
then, which might be a side effect of not having proper
guest isolation (which usually is the result of using
too old util-vserver for your kernel)