Re: [vserver] RE : VServer vs OpenVZ.

From: Laurent Spagnol <laurent.spagnol_at_univ-reims.fr>
Date: Fri 10 Dec 2010 - 09:12:59 GMT

The GPL licence is one of the reasons that i've choosen Vserver.

I use Linux-Vserver since 2006, on Debian hosts (i build my own kernels)
whithout any problems.
My goal was to use it with dot1q and routing.
And it's possible to do without full virtualization of network ! (it's
the same with BSD Jails ...).

Most of our criticals services works on it: ldap daemons for example,
and Hight Availability / Load Balancing / SSL frontends.

Two (very) old servers (active/passive with DRBD) with only 2 Go of RAM,
one poor Xeon 32 2.8 Ghz, and software RAID for theses services:
- 3 HA/LB servers for Webmails (HAProxy, one of them handle SSL with Nginx)
- 1 HA/LB server for the "e-learning platform" (HAProxy + Nginx for SSL)
- 2 HA/LB for ldap services (HAProxy)
- 1 Tomcat for the "Cas" SSO server
- 1 Tomcat for the "Shibboleth" SSO server
- 1 Apache/Tomcat server for the "Virtual Desktop" frontend

All of that runs easily (518 days of uptime) for our 40000 users (load
average on "active" node ~ 2).

So, thanks to the Linux-Vserver team ;)

Friendly,

LS