Re: [vserver] Possible Hashify Corruption

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 14:54:15 BST

On Sat October 16 2010, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Can anybody hazard a guess as to what happened here? I'm prepared to
> consider any theory at the moment, no matter how far fetched.
>
> I'm running 2.6.30.10-vs2.3.0.36.14-pre8. The file system is ext4
> without journal and in data=writeback mode.

Lets go with your first guess, file corruption, and speculate a bit...

We know that ext4 gets its speed by the high degree of meta-data and
data catching that it uses.
We know that if ext4 is not cleanly shut down, your file system is
burnt toast.
On any type of system.

Now, can we relate those behaviors to a single file system name space?

Or, first, was it limited to a single file system name space?

Was the guest you where running and changing file content on the __only__
one that may have had changed files?

That one is a slim chance, the host context is writing to /var/log/* if
nothing else - any of those get corrupted?

Where there other running guests on the system, with changed / changing files
that did not get corrupted?

Did you shut down just this one guest or the entire machine?

Are you using tagging on this file system?

Sorry for only having questions rather than answers.
Mike