Re: [vserver] Mounting from one vserver namespace into another

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 05 Aug 2010 - 00:15:40 BST

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 06:57:37PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> We have a rather bizarre situation and are hoping someone can show us
> how to do what we need to do.

> We have a directory in one vserver, call it vuser1 and call the
> directory vuser1:/removable, which is a symbolic link to a subdirectory
> in vuser1:/tmp and thus is not normally visible to the vserver host.
> We need to mount bind this into a different vserver, call it vsamba.

currently not possible, as there is no way to mount across
namespaces, but you can mount the same filesystem into
several guests and you can share a directory from the
host with more than one guest ...

> Normally, we would do something like:
> mount --rbind /vservers/vusers1/removable /vservers/vsamba/users/vuser1/removable

which wouldn't have any effect if you do it on the host

> Of course, that will not work with vuser1:/tmp as it is not visible to
> the host's namespace.

> We can't do something like:
> vnamespace -e $(cat /etc/vservers/vuser1/context) -- mount
> --rbind /vservers/vuser1/removable /vservers/vsamba/users/vuser1/removable
> I'm assuming because /vservers/vsamba/users/vuser1/removable is not
> visible to vuser1's namespace.

correct ...

> Is there anyway to mount bind a directory from a vserver's /tmp
> directory into another vserver? Thanks - John

no, but you can create a directory/filesystem for both
guests and (bind)mount it into each of them, so that
they basically share the same filesystem

HTC,
Herbert