[vserver] Asterisk in guest

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders_at_cyber-office.net>
Date: Thu 05 Aug 2010 - 17:34:41 BST

One more time but with feeling I attempt to get Asterisk running in a
guest. Seriously this time. :-)

I have a CentOS 5 host and a CentOS 5 guest with Asterisk 1.6 installed
from the asterisk.org and digium.com repositories.

I can start Asterisk from the command line (though I don't have it
configured) but when I try "service asterisk start" (which uses
safe_asterisk) I get the error:

    Starting asterisk: Cannot find specified TTY (9) [FAILED]

The man pages says:

DESCRIPTION
        safe_asterisk is a script that runs asterisk in a loop, which
        can be useful if you fear asterisk may crash.

        The script does not run in the background like a standard
        service. Rather, it runs in its own linux virtual console (9,
        by default). It also uses the option ā€™-cā€™ of asterisk(8) to
        avoid detaching asterisk from that terminal.

        safe_asterisk also runs asterisk with unlimited core file
        size, and thus asterisk will dump core in case of a crash.

        To get a "picture" of console 9, from another terminal (e.g:
        from a remote shell session) you can use:

I've tried not using safe_asterisk in the init script but I got a simple
FAILED but haven't found an error message -- yet -- as to what the
problem is.

I'm going to the Asterisk list shortly to find out how/if-it's-possible
to disable or remove this "feature" but would prefer to work with it.

In the mean time is there a way to allow safe_asterisk to use virtual
console 9? Create it in the guest?

TIA,
Rod