Re: [vserver] PEBKACs I can't see with quotas and (unrelated) vserver init PID

From: Grzegorz Nosek <grzegorz.nosek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed 28 Jul 2010 - 10:03:32 BST

2010/7/28 Jeff Jansen <jeff.jansen@kkoncepts.net>:
> What's the host's filesystem where the vservers are located?  Do you have both
> that filesystem and the guest's filesystem mounted with "usrquota" and
> "grpquota" (or whatever is appropriate)?

It's xfs (with usrquota+grpquota) all the way down. _Reading_ quotas
does work (and that fails when guest's /etc/mtab is misconfigured), as
does setting quotas from the host. They're enforced properly too but
that's not suprprising really. It all looks like a missing
yes-the-guest-can-do-it bit for permission checks.

> I have vague memories of seeing problems like this with ext3 when the mount
> options weren't specified the same way on both the host and the guest. But it
> was over a year ago.  And since I can't reliably remember what I had for
> breakfast yesterday, I could definitely be wrong. ;-)

A mismatch between host's and guest's notion of mounted FS
type/options tends to explode much more colourfully wrt quotas :)

Best regards,
 Grzegorz Nosek