Re: [vserver] Re: Stable branch

From: Adrian Reyer <are_at_lihas.de>
Date: Sat 19 Jun 2010 - 11:51:13 BST

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:21:00AM -0700, Siv wrote:
> Could you please help with the query? Also is VServer lincensed under GPL ?
> If so, is it GPLv2 or v3 ?

Should be same as kernel.
util-vserver ist GPL2 or higher at your choice.

> > Last stable branch as I see in
> > http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org is 2.6.19. The rest
> > are experimental. Does that mean I can't use say 2.6.32.15 in production ?

stable, development and experimental are just tags to me.
I use development and sometimes even experimental versions in my
production environments. They work fine for me.

> > Also will I be able to use 2.6.32.15 with branches upto 2.6.33.5 which is
> > the next version available ?

I have personally not experienced serious trouble when I upgraded
VServer versions. At some point a 'real' lo-Interface appeared breaking
some workarounds and recently people seem to have trouble with outdated
tools. As I prefer current tools I rarely run into them.
However, we use VServers as service-separation to facilitate
administration. It is easier to maintain a VServer for each MySQL4,
MySQL5, Apache+php, postgres, DNS, DHCP, log, smaba, mail than run all
in the same environment with all the possible version conflicts.
I don't run e.g. 100 web instances that are potentially hostile towards
each other or similar things. As long as each VServer sees only it's own
assigned IPs and processes I am perfectly happy.

Regards,
        Adrian

--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91