Re: [vserver] vserver scalability

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Thu 17 Jun 2010 - 11:29:13 BST

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:46:29AM +0200, Remigiusz Modrzejewski wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2010, at 11:39 , Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > Of course you could export a hybrid zfs pool as an iSCSI target,
> > but this runs contrary to my philosophy (achieving high peformance
> > and availability economically, by using lots of cheap, high-efficiency
> > hardware -- the current sweet spot is currently Supermicro/Atom, but
> > I'm hoping for ARM).
>
> You are/will be doing large scale, don't you? Have you looked into Dell Fortuna?

Yes; eventually. In small increments, by whatever spare cash chunks
happen to be around. Which is why high-power servers and blades
are out of question.

> It seems that the Via Nano system may be actually better than Atom. But unfortunately

I'm not sure, it's hard to argue with 80+ servers in a single easily cooled rack,
with full IPMI and starting at 400+ EUR at a functional server.
On a larger scale I'd probably just use the naked motherboards (200 EUR sans RAM)
in custom trays, and with shared PSUs. In principle you can boot them
from USB thumbdrives and/or network.

> it's impossible to buy this thing (the 1/6U Dell system) straight from the street.

I'm hoping that Supermicro or similar vendors will eventually offer ARM
based equivalents of http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/ICH9/X7SPA.cfm?typ=H&IPMI=Y

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org