Re: [vserver] SSD/HD hybrids

From: Christian Balzer <chibi_at_gol.com>
Date: Fri 02 Apr 2010 - 08:19:26 BST

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 11:32:16 +0200 Eugen Leitl wrote:

> So I'm thinking about how to use such a hybrid SSD/HD setup manually.
> The obvious solutions would be to use the SSD for swap and for /tmp,
> and HD for everything else.

I would be _very_ worried about using a single SSD, especially a MLC one
for something that you clearly think will have LOTS of write accesses to
it. But then again, looking at your HW description you don't seem to be
overly worried about running with just one fallible spinning thing either.

For reference, I just recently did build our first DRBD cluster with the
OS (/var and most importantly DRBD metadata partitions) on Intel SLC SSDs.
Yes, plural, I'm running 2 of them in a RAID1 for better sleep AND have
spare partitions (Linux MD) standing by on a "real" disk. The performance
gain was still very much worth it in our case and the cost versus my
aforementioned better sleep at night just as well.

And yes, BTRFS would be nice to have but I'm not holding my breath on that
one either.

Regards,

Christian

chibi@gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications