Re: [vserver] interface name ?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 26 Nov 2009 - 20:50:34 GMT

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 08:31:18PM +0100, Marc Chantreux wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 07:45:37PM +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 26.11.2009, 19:01 +0100 schrieb Marc Chantreux:
> > The name is what you would use as an ip alias / label for that secondary
> > interface that gets created when you start the vserver.

> > set it to XXX and
> > ip addr ls | grep XXX
> > will show you.

> Thanks for your reply. so what's the point naming an interface "1" as
> written in the doc ?

some folks like their interface aliases to be
'eth0:1' others prefer 'eth0:hansi' still others
prefer to have no alias at all (probably the
majority nowadays) ... it's all about choice,
there is no need to specify a 'name' for your
interface

> i mean: it would be much esier for me if every hosts have a virt0
> interface.

you can have that as well, just rename the host
interface to virt0 and use secondaries, i.e.
no 'name' entry in the interface config, and your
guests will all have a 'virt0' ....

> is there performance issue or something i missed ?

nope, no performance issue, just a matter of
preferance in naming the thing ....

personally I prefer to use the original name,
i.e. eth0, eth1 and no alias ... YMMV