Re: [vserver] SNMP-problems

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Wed 30 Sep 2009 - 15:44:18 BST

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 16:27 +0200, Andre Timmermann wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> we are encountering some problems with the snmp-daemon on different
> vserverkernels.
>
> We need snmpd for monitoring on alls vserverhosts and on some of the
> guests.
>
> Our main systems have 2.6.22.18 grsec2.1.11 vs2.2.0.6
> Everything ist working properly.
>
> Our new system has got 2.6.28.7 grsec2.1.13 vs2.3.0.36.7
> The SNMP-Server on the host is up and running (only bound to one IP)
>
> On the guest it is not possible to start the snmp-server:
>
> # snmpd -f 192.168.0.1
>
> No log handling enabled - turning on stderr logging
> error getting netmask for interface 0
> could not open /proc/net/if_inet6
> error getting netmask for interface 0
> error getting netmask for interface 0
> Error opening specified endpoint "192.1668.0.1"
> Server Exiting with code 1
>
> We are working with debian lenny, the installation ist equal on all
> systems, only the kernel has changed.
<snip>
Is that a typo in the error message or do you really have an endpoint
configured as 192.1668.0.1? That misconfiguration might be causing the
problem.
  By the way, we are about ready to implement SNMP in our vserver
environment. Why would one want to run SNMPD in a guest? We are
planning to run it on the hosts to collect system information and will
simply poll the services on the guests. Am I missing something? Thanks
- John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation