Re: [vserver] Debian Support

From: Laurent Spagnol <laurent.spagnol_at_univ-reims.fr>
Date: Wed 30 Sep 2009 - 14:17:05 BST

Nikolay Kichukov a écrit :

> I am a big fan of Debian, however I always use vanilla kernel + vserver experimental patches and compile the
> util-vserver tools from source. Not the debian way, but good enough for a standalone box under my full control.

Hi,

At first, on Debian / Sarge, i prefered to build kernel myself (outdated
kernel version).
With Debian / Etch, the Debian's packages were good enough to be used as
this.
And now, Debian / Lenny, has another kind of problem: mismatch between
kernel and patch.

In my opinion, kernel is one of the most easy thing to build / change
(less than 5 min on a recent smp machine).
The proof: a very old Redhat (7.3 i386) that was originally running on a
poor P4, works now perfectly on a SMP machine with an amd64 kernel !

In fact, we don't have to run after the latest kernel releases, and in
most of the cases the security holes comes from userland applications ...

So:
- i build my own kernels (IPv6, 'pseudo' loopback, and some new
features that are usefull for me),
- i take stability and updates from Debian,
- and i continue to use my favorite distribution ;)

--
Laurent Spagnol
Administrateur Linux