Re: [vserver] Nagios monitoring of host

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders_at_cyber-office.net>
Date: Thu 23 Jul 2009 - 15:24:36 BST

Cédric Dufour - Idiap Research Institute wrote:
> Hello Rod,
>
> NRPE is definitely the way to go perform such "remote host health
> monitoring" (e.g. discs, CPU, memory, processes, etc):
> http://www.nagios.org/download/addons
>
> Basically, it allows to perform "local" tests (e.g. disc SMART status
> check) on the remote host and have it "passed back" through the network.

I was thinking this was the solution from recent messages on the list
but wasn't sure if there was a way to monitor that didn't require
installing/running something the host. Mostly I was thinking of
escalations (?) so if the host was down don't worry about reporting the
guests' services were down.
    Though this (NRPE) seems a little heavy-weight for my needs right
now I'm sure it will benefit those that come after me. :-)

Thanks
Rod