[vserver] Re: Ubuntu Binary Kernel Packages moved

From: Salvador Fandino <sfandino_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon 30 Mar 2009 - 13:07:59 BST

Hi Christoph,

Christoph Lukas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have moved the Ubuntu binary kernel packages to the Ubuntu ppa
> (private package archive) build service.
>
> If you are using those images you should probably update your sources
> list entries.
>
> The ppa can be found here:
> https://launchpad.net/~christoph-lukas/+archive/ppa
>
> But all necessary information can also be found on the wiki page:
>
> http://linux-vserver.org/Installation_on_Ubuntu
>
> I have also prepared binary kernel packages for the upcoming Ubuntu
> Jaunty.

I have been trying to create kernel packages for Ubuntu myself for a
couple of days without success.

I have been following the instructions available here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

The compilation process runs apparently without problems and the kernel
package is generated, but when it is installed, all the kernel modules
are pushed into the initrd image and later, that makes the boot fails
because of its huge size. I have been able to workaround this issue
setting MODULES=list in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf. But I want
the generated packages to be as close as the standard ones from Ubuntu
as possible...

So, I would really apreciate if you could describe the procedure you
have used or if you just give me some pointers in the right direction

Cheers,

  - Salva