Re: [vserver] vdu during start of guests

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Tue 24 Jun 2008 - 01:42:38 BST

Andre Timmermann wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> after enabling disklimits, I noticed that starting a guest will enforce
> the usage of vdu - this will significantly slow down the start of the
> vservers and will even prevent the start, if the guest is over limits.

Only if you didn't stop the guest cleanly, or if you've just applied the
them. vserver ... stop caches the values for vserver ... start.

> I did not find a way to configure this behaviour. I would like to skip
> the vdu, as this can be handled later (for example, when you try to
> enforce such limits on existing customers :)

Huh? And what would you initialize the values to?

It makes no sense to limit disk usage and say "I don't care about how much
it uses."

> On some machines the vdu will take up to 90 minutes, which can be very
> anoying, if it fails.

"Fails"? How would it "fail"?

> I can see one (dirty) workaround:
>
> 1. remove /etc/vservers/<name>/dlimits
> 2. start vserver
> 3. renew /etc/vservers/<name>/dlimits
> 4. use vlimit to enable the limit
>
> It would be easier to have a config-option to disable vdu at
> vserverstart. Any hints?

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. Either you want to
limit stuff, in which case you _need_ to know how much the current usage
is, or you don't, in which case you don't configure it.

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson