Re: [vserver] Vserver kernel support

From: Peter Mann <Peter.Mann_at_tuke.sk>
Date: Fri 16 May 2008 - 19:15:46 BST

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:24:27AM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> No distribution I'm aware of since Linux-Vserver is not part of the main
> line kernel source. (Is that the correct phrase?)

Debian Etch (stable) has support for vserver with kernel 2.6.18
http://packages.debian.org/linux-image-vserver

> That said, I'm really happy with CentOS 5 and Daniel's YUM repository.

http://rpm.hozac.com/dhozac/centos/5/vserver/x86_64/ contains 2.6.22
(but maybe without recent security updates for vanilla kernel)

> Of course you could always roll your own kernel.

yes, but it's hard to backport all security updates into the last
vserver supported kernel ...

i don't have problem with recompiling kernel, but which supported source
can i use for recent kernel? on many servers i'm still using supported
debian vserver kernel 2.6.18 with backported recent vanilla kernel patches,
for example:

linux-2.6 (2.6.18.dfsg.1-18etch4) stable-security; urgency=high

  * bugfix/fcntl_setlk-close-race.patch
    [SECURITY] Fix an SMP race to prevent reordering of flock updates
    and accesses to the descriptor table on close().
    See CVE-2008-1669

i'm asking because i don't know in detail other distributions and their
kernel support - so if some distribution has e.g. supported 2.6.22, i can
try patch it with vserver patch ...

i read discussion about vserver patch for newer kernel, so we must use older
kernel yet ...

5o   Peter.Mann at tuke.sk