Re: [vserver] Network interface problem

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Tue 22 Apr 2008 - 13:46:04 BST

Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed a vserver kernel on Debian Etch (2.6.18-6-vserver-686)
> compiled by my hosting service Dedibox in France (www.dedibox.fr) for
> there servers. The server have one network interface:
>
> eth0 88.191.62.143/255.255.255.0
>
> I got 2 more IP addresses from my hosting service, configured on the
> vserver machine as
>
> eth0:0 88.191.206.113/255.255.255.224
> eth0:1 88.191.206.114/255.255.255.224
>
> At this point when I ping these addresses I got echo.
>
> I created and started one virtual server,
> in /etc/vserver/<server_name>/interface I have:
>
> dev: eth0:0
> ip: 88.191.206.113
> prefix: 27

If you want to use an alias (which really isn't necessary, unless you
require that ifconfig shows it on the host...), set dev to eth0, and name
to 0.

> T start the vserver, I go to it with "enter" command it seems work fine,
> I can connect outside services as ssh or ftp but I can't connect the
> vserver's services from internet, as well from the host machine, the
> connection go to the eth0=88.191.62.143 (main interface) instead of the
> eth0:0=88.191.206.113 address.

I doubt that. You need to make sure that your host's services are only
listening on the host's IP address(es), by adding the appropriate
Listen(Address) directives in the configuration. For e.g. sshd, add
ListenAddress 88.191.62.143 to /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the host, restart
sshd on the host, and restart sshd on the guest. You should now be able to
reach the appropriate server.

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson