Re: [vserver] new kernels include scheduler and memory limitation

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Sun 20 Apr 2008 - 15:15:49 BST

ADNET Ghislain wrote:

> 1.2. Real Time Group scheduling
> 1.1. Memory Resource Controller
>

> It seems that the last kernel include some tech that seem complementary
> to the vserver function, do the vserver project looked into this and
> does it help or hinder the project that the kernel head this way ?

Both. It's better long-term to have things in the mainline kernel, as
porting to newer kernels won't be as big of a task. Short-term it's a
pain, as porting to the kernels that add this kind of feature is a lot of
work since all the previous testing is now irrelevant, and needs to be
redone. It also requires hooking in to new subsystems, which is always
problematic.

It should also be noted that the group scheduling present in the mainline
kernel is not able to limit anything. It just schedules fairly between the
groups.

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson