[vserver] COW links, beyond vservers?

From: Martin Fick <mogulguy_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed 16 Apr 2008 - 20:21:40 BST

Are there any docs explaining how COW links works.
I'm sorry if there are, I have looked and can't seem
to find anything more than a mention of them and
vunify/vhashify. Are there any tools to create and
manipulate COW links manually without using the
vunify/hashify programs?

Essentially, I would like to create and use COW links
outside of vservers (they are a great idea). I
realize that I probably need a vserver kernel for this
(I use vservers also, so no problem). But this seems
like a very useful feature even without vservers.

Are there any thoughts about trying to integrate this
feature as a separate feature into the mainline linux
kernel? It hardly seems like something that only
vserver users would want. Is it a huge patch to
enable COW links or would it be something minor that
might be accepted easily?

Thanks,

-Martin