Re: [vserver] Newbei's questions

From: Martin <inkubus_at_interalpha.co.uk>
Date: Tue 15 Apr 2008 - 18:45:57 BST

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 22:30 +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> --- Martin <inkubus@interalpha.co.uk> wrote:
<snip>
> I'm running VMWare here. My bitter experience on it is Mail and Web
> servers must run on Host for single IP address. All servers running on
> VMWare have only single way traffic to Internet, i.e. they can connnect
> Internet but Internet can't get into them. I must forward ports 25 and
> 80 to Guest server. In such arrangement the Host has no communication
> ports. Unless I have multiple IP address. They can't share IP
> address.
This is a feature / limitation of IP. If you want to serve multiple
domains from the same webserver / mail server, most can be configured to
do this (IIRC these are 'vhosts' in Apache parlance). With relaying /
proxying you may be able to offload soem of the processing to different
servers. If you want to run multiple webservers you will need to run
them on different IPs or on different ports.

> What happen to the Guest on VServer? TIA
In the classical case you have one IP per guest. Sharing IPs between
guests is also possible.

Cheers,
 - Martin