Re: [vserver] tor in a vserver?

From: John Francis Lee <jfl_at_robinlea.com>
Date: Wed 24 Oct 2007 - 01:52:25 BST

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 17:03 -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> Is there perhaps a large security benefit from running
> separate tor server and the tor client instances in
> separate vservers? I.E. If someone breaks into your
> tor server vserver, they will still not be able to see
> your local unencrypted tor traffic since it will enter
> the other (client tor) vserver which does not have any
> listening ports exposed to the internet?
I seem to remember some discussion of someone in Europe running multiple
tor instances on a single machine using virtual servers of some sort and
of that's destroying the intended anonymity of the tor's themselves. In
fact the implication was that the multiple tor instances were
purposefully run as a honeypot by some institution which did not like
the idea of an anonymous internet.

Someone who knows more about tor than I can perhaps comment.

--
John Francis Lee
261/3 Thanon Sonkhongluang Soi 12