Re: [vserver] transient network drops

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Thu 30 Aug 2007 - 20:33:52 BST

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:18:54PM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> Hum! Do you mean ( I haven't caught up all the way on this thread ) that
> the two switches are inter-connected?
>
> SWITCH0 <-> SWITCH1,
> ETH0 <-> SWITCH0, and
> ETH1 <-> SWITCH1.

It looks like this:

        gateway

        switch1 (a Netgear GS724T)

        firewall (a pair of pfSense 1.2rc1, transparent bridges)

        switch2 (a HP ProCurve 2650)
           | |
        host |
           | |
        switch3 (a Netgear GS724T)

The host has eth0 with public network space, and eth1 with
private (10.0.0.0/24) address space, shared with other hosts.
In theory, there should be no issue with switches 2 and 3 having
a direct link (it is usually disabled, but I goofed up, and
forgot this time).

I've been able to make the problems go away by disabling the port
with the patch cable between switch2 and switch3.

There's no real reason to use 3 switches as 2 with VLANs would do,
but there was not yet enough time to work on-site to make everything
work. (Working remotely is not an option, since it's too easy to
screw up, and guiding remote hands through an ssh session you don't
see is no picnic).

> I am working at, as time permits, getting three Ethernet devices working
> on one host and the guests needing to access two of the networks. WAN1,
> WAN2, LAN with each guest needing either WAN1 or WAN2 and LAN access.
> In reality WAN1 and WAN2 both use the same feed (router etc. ) into the
> internet but they use very different address ranges.
>
> Is this similar to you are trying to do?

Doesn't quite sound that way.

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org