Re: [vserver] quota on shared partition, state of the union ;)

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sun 12 Aug 2007 - 11:41:42 BST

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 01:51:51PM +0200, ADNET Ghislain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I start to grasp the quota thing on vserver. I now run vserver on
> their partition (one vserver per partition), i created the vroot
> device with mknod like this:
>
> mknod /dev/vroot/<device_name> b <major_number> <minor_number>
>
> then i use vrsetup to create the virtual device accessed by the
> vserver. Then inside the vserver i run the quota tools. So far it
> works (with only a glitch as repquota / does not work, i must use
> repquota /dev/hdv1 ...).

yes, that looks fine so far ...

> Is this setup survives a reboot ? i have seen some how-to on the net
> stating that vroot and vrsetup files will not survive a reboot of the
> host ?

the quota data will survive a guest and host reboot,
the actual vrsetup will not survive a host reboot,
but it will outlive a guest reboot

> of course with this setup i cannot use the vashify feature as the files
> are on different partitions. I guess the limitation of 'in guest' quota
> in a shared partition is still there ( as stated in the FAQ :) ).

yep, thing is, we have a quite nice solution for
that, called 'quota on a shared partition' but it
is quite maintainance hungry, and not really often
used/tested, so we decided to remove it from current
stable releases ...

if there is more interest, we will definitely revive
it and add it back to recent devel releases ..

HTC,