Re: [vserver] Help debugging networking issue

From: Thomas Weber <l_vserver_at_mail2news.4t2.com>
Date: Tue 31 Jul 2007 - 16:33:13 BST

Am Dienstag, den 31.07.2007, 12:02 +0930 schrieb Michael Terrington:
> Hi list,
>
> I have an AMD64 host running multiple vservers. One of the vservers
> runs a HTTPS reverse proxy (pound) which maps calls through to Apache on
> another vserver.
>
> Occasionally I get an error where the Apache vserver just doesn't
> respond to the reverse proxy for a request. The log on the reverse
> proxy indicates "error reading from host".
>
> I've tried tcpdump but I don't see any output which I presume is because
> it's internally routed... So how can I debug this further?
>
> In case this is an old issue, I'm running a pre-built Ubuntu dapper
> kernel from http://ubuntu.uni-klu.ac.at/ ...
> linux-image-2.6.15-27-amd64-k8_2.6.15-27.45vs2.0.1+2.0.2rc26_amd64.deb

I'd suggest you try a newer kernel. I think it was around this kernel
version when I had problems with a lotus domino vserver that just
'stopped working' from time to time when many users accessed it. The
host was also 64bit with 32bit vserver.
New clients would have just tcp connect but nothing else happened once
the connection was established (iirc).
A kernel/vserver update helped me to solve the problem. We couldn't
debug it further since it was a) domino and b) in a production
environment.

  Tom