Re: [Vserver] possibly dumb question

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Mon 14 May 2007 - 11:23:08 BST

On Sunday 13 May 2007 23:26, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 10:51:49AM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> > i am installing a workstation which i have no plans to use as a
> > vserver host however there may be that possibility in the mid to far
> > future...
>
> if you add the Linux-VServer patches, you will find
> an application for the features sooner than you think
> (e.g. limit a service to certain ips, use the CoW
> link breaking to save diskspace ...)

heh never thought of using the features elsewhere :) thanks!

btw, a few hours after i sent the original message, i was forced to retire the
remote kde desktop server i have set up for our other remote admins (psu
failed 'hot' and several motherboard chips literally exploded) , so now i do
have a need for a guest :)

> > are the kernels produced with the vserver patches 'improved' over std
> > kernels and generally work better? or is it by its nature causing
> > slight overhead compared to without?
>
> if there is noticeable overhead, it is considered a
> bug and should be reported :)
>
> > i guess it boils down to use vserver patches on a normal workstation
> > kernel or not? i have this undefined suspicion it is better with but
> > would like a more factual answer :)
>
> well, it should not hurt, of course, if you don't
> need it, and/or already patched your kernel with
> several other patches, I would not compile it in
> just for the fun of doing it ...

got lazy and installed the gentoo vserver-sources rather than work on a
vanilla kernel.

> HTH,
> Herbert
>
> > --
> >
> > Chuck

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book