Re: [Vserver] possibly dumb question

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 14 May 2007 - 04:26:06 BST

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 10:51:49AM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> i am installing a workstation which i have no plans to use as a
> vserver host however there may be that possibility in the mid to far
> future...

if you add the Linux-VServer patches, you will find
an application for the features sooner than you think
(e.g. limit a service to certain ips, use the CoW
link breaking to save diskspace ...)

> are the kernels produced with the vserver patches 'improved' over std
> kernels and generally work better? or is it by its nature causing
> slight overhead compared to without?

if there is noticeable overhead, it is considered a
bug and should be reported :)

> i guess it boils down to use vserver patches on a normal workstation
> kernel or not? i have this undefined suspicion it is better with but
> would like a more factual answer :)

well, it should not hurt, of course, if you don't
need it, and/or already patched your kernel with
several other patches, I would not compile it in
just for the fun of doing it ...

HTH,