Re: [Vserver] a bit off topic but good to know if there is a known problem

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 05 Mar 2007 - 19:24:04 GMT

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 07:43:51AM -0500, Chuck wrote:
> On Monday 05 March 2007 06:15, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 05:42:01PM -0500, Chuck wrote:
> > > i have seen many of you have similar setups so if there is a known
> > > problem we should all know about it...
> > >
> > > has anyone heard of a problem with the sda channel in the SATA
> > > on board silicone image 3114 controller in general or on a tyan
> > > 2882D series motherboard using opteron processors? we are running
> > > a software raid1 and sda keeps going south even with a new hdd to
> > > the point it is not detectable at all.. a power down, unplug plug
> > > back in and restart usually cures it and the array re-syncs then
> > > gets an error and sda is no longer visible to anything,.. it is a
> > > tyan GX28 system.
> > >
> > > i am running all my vserver partitions on lvm2 under this if that
> > > has any bearing..
> > >
> > > outside of a faulty motherboard i am at a loss as to what could
> > > cause this.
> >
> > this is what google had to say :)
> >
> > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=351495
> >
> http://www.leenooks.com/Silicon+Image+311x+sata+controllers+and+some+Seagate+disks
> >
> > in general, the Sil 311x is considered very slow
> > and 'crappy' but it should be supported quite fine
> >

> we are kinda stuck with the on board controller however since this is
> a 1u case and the riser is already used for a nic. i think we may try
> replacing sda with a western digital drive. the seagates we are using
> are not on the black list in the driver but are of the same family..
> if this wd works we will replace the 2nd drive with a wd and will have
> learned the hard way never to use seagate paired with silicone image
> controllers. i would rather see the boss change the case to a 2u and
> put a real hardware raid controller in on a 2 card riser but...... it
> is not my call.. (and of course we find all this out after the machine
> has been in our production environment for 5 months)

in most cases the hardware raid controller is not worth
the money, as a software raid usually gives a much better
performance with less latency and more control for the
operating system ...

nevertheless, hw-raid can have some advantages if it is
done properly, e.g. auto reconstruction without affecting
the system performance and/or battery buffering in power
failure cases ...