Re: [Vserver] Question about rebuilding an older Debian system with vservers

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sun 25 Feb 2007 - 21:13:10 GMT

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 12:14:58PM -0800, Kathy Kost wrote:

> I have a server that I have inherited from someone who left our
> company and he built it with Debian 3.1 on the root server and all
> guest vservers. The kernel used was 2.6.8-vserver. I'm going to ask
> some dumb questions here because I'm mostly familiar with RedHat and
> Solaris, more than Debian. I have never personally installed a Debian
> vserver system from scratch. I want to build a duplicate of this
> system because the original system is having hardware problems and I
> need to recreate the system if it dies.

> My question is this: If I install the latest release of Debian --
> looks like 3.1r5 and use the latest vserver kernel (can't remember
> what I saw it at last), will the guests that were built on Deb 3.1
> and 2.6.8-vserver kernel work okay?

yes, definitely, at least as long as you keep
the legacy interfaces enabled, but with minor
changes to the config, even without any of the
legacy stuff

> How I was hoping it would go is like this: I install the new base
> server with 3.1r5/newer vserver kernel based on vserver install
> documentation, and then restore /etc/vserver.conf, /etc/vservers and
> /home/vservers (where the guests reside). I'm worried that the guests
> were built on an older based kernel and it might cause problems?

why bother with a debian install, when you
are used to RedHat? just install Fedora or
Mandriva on the host (with a Linux-VServer
kernel) and restore the guests there, they
will work regardless of the host distro ...

> And also that my assumptions for restoring such a system are too
> simplistic.

nope, just make sure that the numeric ids
(uid/gid) stay the same, and do not get messed
up in the copy/restore process ...

> Thanks for any pointers.

HTH,
Herbert