Re: [Vserver] keeping a mirror machine synched

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat 24 Feb 2007 - 19:07:46 GMT

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 05:00:33PM +0100, Peter Mann wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 04:13:43PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > I run a nightly script (over a private network) which does the
> > following synchronisation from the production to the backup machine:
> > rsync -a -e ssh /home/ root@10.0.0.3:/home/
> > rsync -a -e ssh /usr/local/etc/vservers/ root@10.0.0.3:/usr/local/etc/vservers/
> >
> > My vservers live in /vservers which is a symlink to /home/vservers.
> > Apart from /usr/local/etc/vservers/ is there anything else I should synch?
>
> my tip: use rsync --numeric-ids and --exclude "vservers/name1/proc" ...
> (and you can use rsync without -e ssh, because it's default in Debian;
> and maybe -e 'ssh -c blowfish')

if you are doing the sync over a trusted network,
then getting rid of the ssh/encryption part is
a big win, both for speed and for cpu overhead

if your network is the bottleneck, using the -z
(compression) will help too, otherwise the following
options might come handy: -axHP

> i'm using some similar rsync scripts ...
>
> > Another question: Debian 4.0 is ante portas. Given that 3.1 had
> > everything way out of date, can one rely on stock vserver kernel
> > and tools in Debian 4.0?

I hope I'm wrong, but to me it looks like the
new Debian release will already be outdated
when the release happens ...

but hey, that's the debian model ...