Re: [Vserver] apt-proxy on vserver host

From: Corey Wright <undefined_at_pobox.com>
Date: Fri 09 Feb 2007 - 17:31:24 GMT

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:52:37 +0000 (GMT)
Konstantinos Pachopoulos <kostaspaxos@yahoo.gr> wrote:

> Hi,
> i am trying to set-up apt-proxy on the "root server"
> of my virtual network. Do i need to tweak the
> iptables? In general, i think that i have to change
> the iptables settings only when vserver guests need to
> communicate with each other.

i don't know what your exact requirements are, but here's my apt-proxy
setup:
- debian sarge guest called "apt-proxy" (both vserver name, host name, and
dns name) with non-internet-routable ip address (same as local network)
- apt-proxy, and only apt-proxy, installed in "apt-proxy" guest
- all other guests retrieve updates by way of apt-proxy in apt-proxy guest
- apt-proxy installation currently only used by guests on same host, not
because of technical limitations, but i only use that apt-proxy for sarge
and all my sarge installations are guests on that same host

you shouldn't have to use iptables unless maybe the host has the only
externally accessible ip address (either accessible by the local network or
internet) and you'll have to route connections received by the host to the
guest.

i've never had to do any unique routing with my vserver installation (except
port-forwarding from the firewall to the ip address of the guests as my
local network is behind a NAT).

maybe i'm missing something unique about your setup and you need to share
your network configuration (ie guest, host, network).

corey

--
undefined@pobox.com