Re: [Vserver] resource management

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Sat 02 Dec 2006 - 15:29:58 GMT

On Saturday 02 December 2006 09:48, Michael S. Zick wrote:

do you or anyone know if this kernel has the memory page/reiser problem?

2.6.17-vs2.0.2.1-gentoo also compiled with 2006.1 profile, gcc4.1.1 and the
new glibc

i have it installed for vservers in case i need an emergency server to add but
it will normally not have guests installed. this machine is an x86 4xp3
machine being set up as our NAS backup storage server (also running reiser on
lvm2).

> On Fri December 1 2006 22:56, Chuck wrote:
> > On Friday 01 December 2006 21:51, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> >
> > i installed this new kernel, and decided to reboot immediately. there is a
> > CONSIDERABLE difference in the amount of initial memory used! i have never
> > seen this machine this low before. 680mb. typically startup memory has
always
> > been around 900mb.
> >

> Super!
>
> > there is also a noticable difference in the response of the machine.. time
> > will tell.
> >

> A personal record: 2.6.18.2 is the only kernel that ever trashed my
reiserfs.
> I have been beating on 2.6.18.3 for over a week now with no problems found.
>
> > thanks for the info!
> >
> > i still need to find out if i need to set file handles higher etc, and how
> > do that.
> >

> I do not have a clue to that question. Someone on the list that is running
> a high resource requirement installation will have to comment on that.
>

> Mike

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book