Re: [Vserver] Virtual server monitor

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed 27 Sep 2006 - 16:03:42 BST

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 09:01:09AM +0200, Tom Laermans wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 22:38 -0400, Guillaume Pratte wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to have the opinion of the mailing list about a tool I just
> > released called 'Virtual server monitor' or 'vsmon' for short :
> >
> > http://vsmon.revolutionlinux.com/
>
> Looks great! Once you have some .deb's I'll have to try it out ;)
>
> I was planning to make something similar like this, but with a
> different sort of "backend", being an extension into snmpd. I've made
> different scripts already to be able to monitor daemon stuff through
> cacti, and was planning on making on one side some nice graphs about
> load and memory and such, and otherwise an overview page with all the
> info on it.
>
> Still planning to do that "when time permits" though ;/ -- the hard
> part is looking up where to find all that info without having to parse
> vserver-stat etc :)

let me chime in here and add a few thoughts to this:

on recent kernels (means current devel, soon to be stable
branch) we have (almost all) interfaces to provide guest
status and overview directly from the kernel, without
parsing proc interfaces and doing a lot of calculations
(as vserver-stat currently does and often gets wrong)

although I hope that in this process, the vserver-stat
will get an overhaul too, it would be a good idea to have
a look at the direct API and the derived libraries
(contact Hollow, phreak``? and maybe daniel_hozac for
more details)

the interesting part here is that those interfaces
provide fast and unambiguous data about guests like

 - current status and uptime
 - number of processes
 - various accounting data including sockets
 - current limits, max/min and hits
 - uts information
 - load and time virtualizations

and much more ...

also note that we will change the proc interfaces slightly
in the future, as we will switch from ticks (jiffies)
to the more comprehensible ms (milisecond) unit