Re: [Vserver] Scheduling

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 22 Sep 2006 - 00:25:11 BST

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 10:08:26AM -0700, Matt Anger (manger) wrote:
> Following the vsched explained page I am trying to setup a case to
> adjust the priorities of my vservers.
> EX: 4 vservers at contexts
> 49186
> 49187
> 49188
> 49189

first, do not use dynamic contexts, they are deprecated
since a while now and will be removed shortly, use
static context ids instead ...

> I want the distribution of CPU time to be 40,20,20,20
> So I use vsched and do
> vsched --xid 49186 --filrate 2 --interval 5
> vsched --xid 49187 --filrate 1 --interval 5
> vsched --xid 49188 --filrate 1 --interval 5
> vsched --xid 49189 --filrate 1 --interval 5
>
> Then I start a CPU intensive process (simple C program that measures
> how long it took a computer to do a large loop of arithmetic, usually
> takes about 100s on the P3 800 I am doing tests) in all 4 vservers.
> Unfortunately it still schedules them fair-share according to vtop
> and according to the program itself (All programs report 400 s for
> completion). I also tried playing with tokens, tokens-min, tokens-max,
> but no matter what I did it still scheduled them fair share. Am I
> doing something wrong?

probably, you want to make sure that the following
requirements are met:

 - CONFIG_VSERVER_HARDCPU is enabled in the kernel
 - you have set the sched_hard flag for that context
 - the max_tokens value is relatively low
   (otherwise the process will get a boost at
   the beginning)
 - the 400s are wall time, not process time

if you can confirm all of them, please contact me
at the irc channel, as this would mean that there
is a bug somewhere ...

HTH,
Herbert