Re: [Vserver] Startup Scripts (Related to: sys-apps/baselayout-vserver)

From: Georges Toth <georges_at_norm.lu>
Date: Sun 02 Jul 2006 - 18:17:36 BST

> as far as I know, gentoo is the only distro which uses
> a 'special' init system, which does not work inside a
> virtual environment (well, without minor tweaks), IMHO
> that is not a deficiency in gentoo, only a missing
> (or better incomplete) 'implementation' of the gentoo
> init style

AFAIK the problem with gentoo init scripts is, that some of the scripts depend
on other scripts like clock, ntp, net.eth0, etc....which configure system
level things.
As that is not possible / allowed inside a regular guest, they will fail, and
as such the scripts depending on them as well.

That's why you have to use the baselayout-vserver, which includes emtpy
scripts for those ones.

-> init scripts get not only started if they are in a specific runlevel, but
also if another script depends on them.
so that might be the reason why on gentoo you have to use other init scripts
whereas on ubuntu etc, it works out of the box.

hmm

--
regards,
Georges Toth