Re: [Vserver] Cloning a vserver

From: Xavier Montagutelli <xavier.montagutelli_at_unilim.fr>
Date: Thu 29 Jun 2006 - 20:55:08 BST

On Thursday 29 June 2006 17:24, Odile Bénassy wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl a écrit :
> >On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 10:34:52AM +0200, Christian Knauber wrote:
> >>Yes you can leave it without, but in this case if you defined it in
> >>the "old" vserver you would have to change it in the "new" vserver.
> >>
> >>Also, I do not know if this is really the case, but I felt that having
> >>fixed context IDs is much more stable than having dynamic ones.
> >
> >more important, dynamic contexts are deprecated for
> >some time now (as they cause nothing but troubles)
> >and will go away in the (near) future ...
> >
> >so please, handle the context assignment in userspace
> >by either assigning them explicitely or extending
> >the tools to handle that properly
>
> how do you set the context ID ?
>
> 1) from the beginning : my newvserver command (from Debian
> vserver-debiantools) does not have any --cid option
>
> 2) afterwards : I tried to echo a reasonable 5-figures number into
> /etc/vservers/myvs/context, but now if I try to start it:
>
> --%<
>
> # vserver myvs start
> chbind: vc_net_create(): Invalid argument

Perhaps you use numbers too high for a static context ? Numbers below 49151
are reserved for static ones, whereas dynamic contexts use numbers in the
49152 - 65534 range

I can't find the web page where I read it, I can only find this e-mail :
http://list.linux-vserver.org/archive/vserver/msg06532.html

Or does "reasonable" mean you already know that ?

--
Xavier Montagutelli                      Tel : +33 (0)5 55 45 77 20
Service Commun Informatique              Fax : +33 (0)5 55 45 75 95