Re: [Vserver] Errors on stopping vserver

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders_at_acm.org>
Date: Wed 24 May 2006 - 23:34:10 BST

Fareha Shafique wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>
>> Fareha Shafique wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When I stop the vserver I get the following:
>>> Stopping sshd: [FAILED]
>>> Shutting down kernel logger: [FAILED]
>>> Shutting down system logger: [ OK ]
>>> Starting killall: Stopping sshd: [FAILED]
>>>
>>> [FAILED]
>>>
>>> I'm not sure why I this happens. Any help would be appreciated.
>>

>> I'm trying to catch up on several months worth of messages (from the
>> latest to earlier ) and can't remember if I saw an answer to this.
>> FWIW I just ran into the same issue and it has to do with sshd failing
>> start to in your guest server. Typically becuase the IP address is
>> already in use somewhere else. ( The host server? ). Check the
>> settings in sshd_config for the host and all the guest servers. Make
>> sure the ListenAddress is set to/for the correct IP address/server
>> combination.
>

> Thanks for the reply. I have ssh working fine now. The kernel logger
> however always fails to start and hence fails to stop

Sorry I forgot about that. Typically this comes from Redhat-ian
systems. Syslogd and klogd are started and stopped from 'inside' the
same script.

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog

Edit the file and comment out any lines that mention klogd.

In the Fedora Core 5 install I'm looking at there are these lines.

18: [ -f /sbin/klogd ] || exit 0

25: KLOGD_OPTIONS="-2"

40: echo -n $"Starting kernel logger: "
41: daemon klogd $KLOGD_OPTIONS
42: echo

47: echo -n $"Shutting down kernel logger: "
48: killproc klogd
49: echo

59: status klogd

79: RETVAL=1
80: echo -n "Reloading klogd..."
81: klog=`cat /var/run/klogd.pid 2>/dev/null`
82: if [ -n ${klog} ] && [ -e /proc/${klog} ]; then
83: kill -USR2 $klog;
84: RETVAL=$?
85: fi
86: if [ $RETVAL -ne 0 ]; then