Re: [Vserver] My ISP unable to use ntp ; ( - How can I change /etc/localtime with ntp?

From: Robert Michel <news_at_robertmichel.de>
Date: Tue 23 May 2006 - 14:50:44 BST

Salve Herbert!

Herbert Poetzl schrieb am Samstag, den 20. Mai 2006 um 16:40h:
> > Could I change /etc/localtime with ntp to correct the time myself?
> > How?
> >
> > On the longterm, it would be nice to have a better timesolution
> > for vservers - the vserver should be able to use ntp and the
> > host server should be like the Bios clock - only serving
> > first information at boottime and serving the beat of seconds...
>
> well, that might sound appealing at the first glance,
> but trust me, that's nothing you really want, for
> several reasons:
>
> - the time system inside the kernel is fairly complex,
> to virtualize it per guest would add significant
> overhead just for doing time keeping
>
> - there is no point in having 'more' than one time
> base in a single kernel, once it is correct, the
> entire system will have precise time

There is an important point - a cheap vserver form an ISP
who doen't care about ntpd after asking him four times....
(and then he set the time 2 times manualy...) arrrhhhh....

> > It should be possibel to use the time independent form a
> > manipulation of the ISP....
>
> you can, just install a time deamon which is system
> independant

How can I do this, so that every normal program
(postfix, yaws...) get the time form my deamon?

> or add another layer of virtualization
> if you do not care about the overhead

I do not think that I can do this as normal
vsersver-user....

> but IMHO, the real solution to your issues is to
> kindly ask the ISP to start an ntpd on the host (or
> on a special time guest) to synchronize that

I know this, I tried this and it's faild.
The ISP told me two times that they have installed ntpd
but they correct the time only once... arrrggghhh...

Ok, how can I run as normal vserver-user (be root
on my vserver) an own time daemon?
You don't mean ntpd or chrony who whant to set
the time of the kernel?

Greetings
rob