Re: [Vserver] Building vserver from skeleton

From: Fareha Shafique <fareha_at_eecg.toronto.edu>
Date: Thu 18 May 2006 - 16:42:31 BST

Xavier Montagutelli wrote:

>On Wednesday 17 May 2006 16:20, Fareha Shafique wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I want to try to build a few vservers from a host template and then
>>unify these vservers. I'm not sure what files I need to include in the
>>template. I tried to create one vserver like this but I cannot start it.
>>I get the following error:
>>-------------------------
>># vserver sk start
>>No command given; use '--help' for more information.
>>
>>An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
>>there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
>>() failed.
>>
>>Common causes are:
>>* /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
>> method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
>> appending 'true' to this file will help.
>>
>>Failed to start vserver 'sk'
>>---------------------
>>

>What is "sk" ? Your "host template" or the first vserver based on the
>template ?
>
>Could you tell us more precisely how you created the vserver you call your
>"host template" (I suppose it is a normal vserver that you won't run) ? I
>think this one should be constructed as a normal vserver, for example with
>standard methods (vserver my_template build -m <your_method> ....)
>
>How do you create the actual vservers from the template : do you use
>vserver-copy, something like http://www.micropp.se/vserver/vcopy ?

Well I found a thread in the mailing list archive that said:
"- reserve space on your /vservers partition for a template
- dump/restore or cp -va or whatever, your existing host system there
- cleanup the template with simple chroot, i.e. remove packages and
stuff you won't need in a guest, adjust the startup/shutdown scripts to
avoid hardware stuff
- clear out /proc and /dev inside the template
now this is only required once, and will save you a lot of space later ...
to create a new guest, use the 'skeleton' method with all the desired
config options, then copy over the template into the skeleton guest dir"

So what I did was copied my host system into a directory (called it
template). I used the skeleton method to build a guest called sk (with
appropriate interface and hostname given). Then I copied the template
into the guest. I think where I went wrong is the cleanup of the
template, I'm not sure what I should clean out and what I should leave.
I think I have either left some scripts that are not needed or deleted
something that is needed, but I don't understand what.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-FS