Re: [Vserver] Timeout and SIGKILL error upon guest stop

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 28 Apr 2006 - 14:29:20 BST

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 02:18:11PM +0200, Youri LACAN-BARTLEY wrote:
> Hi Baltasar,
>
> there was indeed a problem with resolving DNS in the guest, its
> boot/halt time has significantly shortened.

yes, DNS timeouts are a real issue with badly
configured resolvers ...

> However, I still get the same timeout error every now and then. Seems
> to be quite random really ...
>
> I also noticed that the same problem occurs on other guests I
> considered "stable".
>
> The worrying thing about all this is the simple fact that it's random.

well, it's 30 seconds by default, might be that you
have services (like qmail?) running which are not
designed to stop in a timely fashion, and just need
more time for them ...

> I've never used strace before, I'll try and dig into it to do a little
> debugging. If you have any advice on the way to use the tool, I'd be
> glad to hear it.

raising the actual timeout to 120 seconds for example
will give them 'more' time to quit, but will take up
to 2 minutes until the guest will be force stopped

HTH,
Herbert