Re: [Vserver] Vserver on top of cluster

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat 22 Apr 2006 - 03:29:06 BST

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 02:36:58PM -0400, Patrick Conroy wrote:
> On 4/18/06, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:
> >

> > I'd say it _is_ possible, but it would require some modifications
> > so that the 'migration' is context aware, shouldn't be too hard
> > to add that though, but currently there is no real demand for
> > that (at least I think so)
> >
> > best,
> > Herbert
>
> Herbert,
>
> Thanks for your response. Is it simply a matter of making the
> vserver patch apply to the (already-patched) OpenSSI kernel,
> or am I missing the bigger picture?

well, yes and no, of course you have to make the
context related structures move across nodes too,
and you will probably have to adjust a few things
to make it really work ...

> Are other people handling scalability and high-availability
> differently?

it seems so, at least the requests for *mosix style
distribution is not very hight, guess different
hosts with some kind of failover are much simpler
to handle ...

> It seems that being able to put vservers on top an openSSI
> (or some other) cluster would be great way to handle this.

sure, and if you are interested in testing this, then
I would be willing to help you handle the kernel side ...

if so, then maybe pay a visit to the irc channel
(#vserver @ irc.oftc.net) and have a chat about the
details ...