Re: [Vserver] ability to use 130+ ips within a vserver yet?

From: Benoît des Ligneris <Benoit.des.Ligneris_at_revolutionlinux.com>
Date: Thu 06 Apr 2006 - 14:09:02 BST

Hello,

Chuck a écrit :
> tuesday, i ran into a major emergency with a hardware failure on our email
> machine which uses 130 ip addresses. my only choice was to move it to the
> host side of our dell vserver host. this is presently causing an extreme
> amount of port clashes as the email server wants to grab every ip on port 80
> for webmail rather than stick to a single /24 and i so far have not found a
> way to bind it to only a single network.

If you are using a vserver kernel, why not use chbind to bind the server
to the IP you want to use ?

> putting it into a guest would cure all of this i believe... i did not do this
> initially due to the 16 ip limitations...

Well, this can easily be changed with a patch to the vserver patch
however there will be a small performance impact.

> is that limitation released yet? or is there code available which works well
> enough to stuff it into a production environment? i have had to shut down 14
> vservers just to get mail to run :(

We already deploy it in a production environment for at least one year
now (for hosting, 64 IPs).

--
Benoit des Ligneris Ph. D.
President de Revolution Linux            http://www.revolutionlinux.com/