Re: [Vserver] vserver 2.0.2 patch for kernel 2.6.15.6

From: Peter Mann <Peter.Mann_at_tuke.sk>
Date: Tue 28 Mar 2006 - 10:58:55 BST

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:30:50AM +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 02:54:09AM -0600, Corey Wright wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:33:19 +0200
> > Peter Mann <Peter.Mann@tuke.sk> wrote:
> >
> > > i welcome some cooperation from experienced users with supporting
> > > ubuntu dapper kernel with stable vserver 2.0.x patch ... no new
> > > features, just updated patch every time dapper kernel changes - like
> > > vserver 1.2.10 and vanilla kernel 2.4
> >
> > as i said in response to Tom Coetser, i don't remember any ubuntu
> > security update breaking a vserver patch + merge patch (as something
> > always fails from the beginning), so once a vserver patch is developed
> > for ubuntu's 2.6.15, it should apply for a long time.
> >
> > the harder task is backporting any relevant bug fixes in later vserver
> > releases to 2.0.1.3 (or whatever version everybody settles on).
> > and the merging isn't the hard part, but instead just knowing that
> > something needs to be backported. i doubt every fix Herbert applies to
> > the current vserver (stable or unstable) he takes into consideration
> > every previous release and if its applicable.
> >
> > rhel has had long release cycles (3 years?), so how have people using
> > both rhel and vserver handled it? of course i think i remember rhel's
> > kernels being aggressively patched, maybe requiring vserver users to
> > forgo those kernels totally.
>
> > > so who can support dapper vserver kernel?
> > > Gerald Hochegger <gerald.hochegger@uni-klu.ac.at> ???
> > > Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> ???
>
> sure I _could_ support a dapper vserver kernel, but,
> and here is the important fact, this would not scale ...
>
> in the very near future, I'd be supporting 20 different
> kernels from at least 10 different distros, and there
> would be no time left for development, so some other
> model is required to solve this, and it's actually
> quite simple ...

dapper kernel isn't (from some point of view) distributions specific -
someone still can use only sources and recompile it for own distribution

wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-source-2.6.15/linux-source-2.6.15_2.6.15-19.29_all.deb
ar x linux-source-2.6.15_2.6.15-19.29_all.deb
tar xzf data.tar.gz
mv usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15.tar.bz2 .
rm -f data.tar.gz control.tar.gz debian-binary
tar xjf linux-source-2.6.15.tar.bz2

i'm using different distribution (although very close) ... but i want
some long supported kernel without many changes - like kernel 2.4 ...

i read many articles about 2.6 kernel and support for 2.6.x-1.y ...

i want to use vserver 2.x
i don't want to use every new vanilla kernel 2.6.x.y.z, bugfixes or new
kernel features on my servers ...

> a) somebody steps up as 'new' maintainer for a dapper
> vserver kernel (preferable stable and devel)
>
> b) that somebody commits himself/herself to tracking
> changes in dapper _and_ vserver in the forseeable
> future
>
> c) that person contacts me and we arrange to do an
> initial port on that kernel, something which can
> be considered a _known_good_ state
>
> d) extensive testing has to follow, we don't want to
> have folks run into merge issues, this is where
> the dapper-vserver community comes into play

ok - i can test initial port on my servers ... but i'm using only kernel
source from dapper ... utils and distribution is Debian Sarge (+ backports)
[and i have my optimized specific kernel config for our servers - but
some unofficial .deb packages from dapper kernel source can be published]

> e) all changes to stable and devel are released in
> small patches, which the maintainer has to check
> and if required discuss with me
>
> f) feedback from the dapper-vserver community, may
> if be bugs, issues or feature requests will go
> to that person, which will filter them and, if
> applicable relay them to mainstream development

i can help with testing and patching - so i tried it, but i had problem
with one hunk ...

patch for dapper kernel will be usable for more people ... look at this
thread ...

some links:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/devel/kernel-patch-vserver
http://www2.uni-klu.ac.at/support/VServer
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/VServer

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperDelayAnnouncement
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperReleaseSchedule
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperGoals
The Dapper Drake release of Ubuntu will be supported for 5 years on servers,
and 3 years on desktops.

and once again: i want some 2.6 kernel without many changes - only with security
updates ... any idea? (IMHO dapper kernel source is NOW the best for me)

so i can help with testing, patching - if my skills are enough ;-)

5o   Peter.Mann at tuke.sk