Re: [Vserver] Problem binding to 0.0.0.0

From: John Lyons <vserver_at_nsnoc.com>
Date: Thu 23 Mar 2006 - 15:01:51 GMT

> This is strange. Normally, a vserver is bound to one IP address and even a
> bind to 0.0.0.0 should be mapped to this single IP address.

Agreed, we've been runnning vservers since v0.3 and never had a problem like
this.

> What's the result of a "netstat -tpln" and "chcontext --xid 1
netstat -tpln"
> executed on the host (perhaps before and after starting httpd on the
guest) ?

Doesn't seem to suggest anything odd taht I can see.

[root@svr26 0]# netstat -tpln
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:36331 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 1761/rpc.statd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 1744/portmap
tcp 0 0 195.69.95.46:80 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 15724/httpd
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:5335 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 2021/mDNSResponder

[root@svr26 0]# chcontext --xid 1 netstat -tpln
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:9000 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 15392/perl
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:3306 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 12671/mysqld
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:9002 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 9928/perl
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:36331 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 1761/rpc.statd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 12605/xinetd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 1744/portmap
tcp 0 0 195.69.95.46:80 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 15724/httpd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:21 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 13440/pure-ftpd (SE
tcp 0 0 195.69.95.131:33814 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 15288/xinetd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 15269/sshd
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:5335 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 2021/mDNSResponder
tcp 0 0 195.69.95.230:25 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 13303/sendmail: acc
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 9800/sendmail: acce

Stopped http on host box. Enter vserver, start httpd and I get the error
[crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80

comment out the line in the vserver httpd.conf ...Listen 80 and BindAddress
195.69.95.131
start httpd within the vserver and it works but the httpd in the list below
is now running within the guest vserver vs131

[root@svr26 0]# vps -aufx | grep http

root 16863 49179 vs131 0.0 0.9 77108 4404 ? Ss
22:59 0:00 /usr/sbin/httpd

[root@svr26 0]# chcontext --xid 1 netstat -tpln
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:9000 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 15392/perl
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:3306 0.0.0.0:*