Re: [Vserver] build method

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 10 Feb 2006 - 10:09:31 GMT

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:00:11PM +0530, sukrit wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 08:40 +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:55:38AM +0530, sukrit wrote:
> > > I'm using vserver-2.0.1 on CentOS. I got the patch in and created a
> > > number of vservers using the "legacy" method, as I wanted the vservers
> >
> > vserver <name> build -m legacy ?
>
> Well this is what vserver -build --help says:
>
> legacy ... the "old" copy-all-from-host method, which requires the
> old legacy vserver-legacy script; with this
> method the cfg-options will be ignored
>

> > well, I'd start with creating a new style config for
> > that guest or at least fixing up the legacy config
> >
> > you can create a new config with the skeleton method
> > and then copy over your guest data into the created
> > skeleton ...
> >

> Got a doc on that? I used to just create my vservers by doing "#vserver
> vsname build" in my 2.4 deployment of vservers. What would the simplest
> thing equivalent to that be in the new version of vservers? All It want
> to do is to for my vservers to be something similar to my base machine.

well, I have no idea why this isn't part of the tools
yet, so you probably have to ask Enrico about the detailed
motivation, but, I'd suggest to do it like this:

- reserve space on your /vservers partition for a template
- dump/restore or cp -va or whatever, your existing host
  system there
- cleanup the template with simple chroot, i.e. remove
  packages and stuff you won't need in a guest, adjust
  the startup/shutdown scripts to avoid hardware stuff
- clear out /proc and /dev inside the template

now this is only required once, and will save you a lot
of space later ...

to create a new guest, use the 'skeleton' method with all
the desired config options, then copy over the template
into the skeleton guest dir

HTH,
Herbert