Re: [Vserver] How to vunify/vhashify on Gentoo

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Sun 22 Jan 2006 - 12:33:54 GMT

On Sun January 22 2006 05:38, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> meier@informatik.fh-kl.de (Wilhelm Meier) writes:
>
> > I'm using Gentoo as a host and also Gentoo as VPSs. If I try to
> > vunify/vhashify two VPS, I get:
> >
> > gs vservers # ln
> > -s /etc/vservers/vs01 /etc/vservers/vs01c/apps/vunify/refserver.00
> >
> > gs vservers # vserver vs01c unify
> > Can not determine packagemanagement style
> > failed to determine configfiles
>
> Does vhashify/vunify really make sense on Gentoo? AFAIK, Gentoo does not
> have a packagemanagement and you have to recompile everything (which
> will probably produce different checksums).

Gentoo does handle binary package management - do:

emerge --buildpkg whatever (you can set that option in your FEATURES)
the 'install' tools accept <binary package>.tbz2 with a --usepkg option.

The package is a 'tar --bzip2' with additional meta-data
The process will preserve timestamps and etc as well as any tar --bzip2

Mike