Re: [Vserver] How to vunify/vhashify on Gentoo

From: Enrico Scholz <enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>
Date: Sun 22 Jan 2006 - 11:38:56 GMT

meier@informatik.fh-kl.de (Wilhelm Meier) writes:

> I'm using Gentoo as a host and also Gentoo as VPSs. If I try to
> vunify/vhashify two VPS, I get:
>
> gs vservers # ln
> -s /etc/vservers/vs01 /etc/vservers/vs01c/apps/vunify/refserver.00
>
> gs vservers # vserver vs01c unify
> Can not determine packagemanagement style
> failed to determine configfiles

Does vhashify/vunify really make sense on Gentoo? AFAIK, Gentoo does not
have a packagemanagement and you have to recompile everything (which
will probably produce different checksums).

When you do a 'make install' from the same source tree, vhashify/vunify will
still not work because most 'make install' do not preserve timestamps. But
because timestamps are used to check whether files are identically resp. are
going into the calculation of the hash value, you will not gain very much
with vhashify/vunify on Gentoo.

Enrico