Re: [Vserver] Vservers and quotas

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 05 Jan 2006 - 16:34:23 GMT

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 04:34:18PM +0100, Grzegorz Nosek wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a basic question regarding quota usage with vservers. My
> scenario is more or less like this:
>
> - I have xid tagging enabled (UID24/GID24)
>
> - vserver with e.g. xid=1111 has users with uids in range 1111000 -
> 1111999 (and several system ones but these need no quotas)
>
> - I'm not interested (at the moment at least) in per-context quotas,
> only per-user ones
>
> - I need to manage the per-user quotas from within the vservers
> (preferably, only the specified users should be available - their
> files will be always created from within the vserver too so xid
> tagging is an option)
>
> - I don't need quotas on the host
>
> My question is: where do I configure the quotas? The host? The
> vservers individually? Both?

the problem with linux quotas (something which per-context
quotas solve) is, that the quota files reside in only one
location, the root of the associated filesystem

the consequence is that you have to manage them there, i.e.
on the host, outside of all guests ...

they will be shown with quota and other tools which do not
look into those files, but query the kernel instead ...

HTH,
Herbert